Use it Again ! logbook – Episode 1
October 2021 - The first month of a long partnership:
Extia has embarked on a great adventure by becoming a sponsor of the "Use it Again!" project led by the sailor Romain Pilliard.
His first challenge: to achieve a westabout round the world record alongside skipper Alex Pella. Easy? Almost... Here are a few comparisons to put this challenge in context:
- 11,000 people have climbed the Everest
- 3,000 people have been in space
- 300 people have completed the Vendée Globe
- 5 people have successfully achieved a westabout record.
A sporting project, but also an ecological one, since the boat "Use it Again!" is none other than Hélène MacArthur's former trimaran (yes, the one with which she broke the solo round-the-world record in 2005). This big white trimaran had run aground in 2010 in the port of Brest, where it remained abandoned for 6 years, before Romain decided that it would sail again.
A superb boat, then? Yes, but the speed at which technological advances are making competition boats obsolete should have sentenced this beautiful trimaran to death.
But Romain Pillard is a committed sailor who wants to prove that it is possible to renovate a boat that has not been used for six years without compromising its performance level, thanks to the circular economy, technology and a more thorough reflection on each purchase.
And what does Extia have to do with it?
- A project that combines people and performance,sounds familiar, right? #FirstWhoThenWhat
- A project that exploits the opportunities of technology to serve an ecological approach
- A scientific research approach that will undoubtedly appeal to your curious, innovative and learning souls #GreatPlaceToLearn
With one month to go before the start, preparations are in full swing for our two navigators.
Stay tuned: we look forward to our second episode in which you'll discover all the details of the preparation of these extraordinary sportsmen!
See you soon !